Rules of the blog

So the idea came up in #paforums_pax to have a way for us to share our recipes, especially by those who want to learn to cook. I've set up this blog as a place for people to post and comment on recipes and will eventually (read that as when I f'in feel like it or someone else does the work :P ) be compiled into a cookbook for our community to buy.

To post please contact EruditeAphrodite with your email address and I will add you as a writer. If you can, post pictures with your recipes so people can see what the food looks like. A rating system (Casual, Easy, Normal, Hard, Super Foodie) was also mentioned to give people an idea of how difficult a recipe is.

Some final rules
- The title of your post should be the name of the dish
- Include tags for type of dish (soup, salad, main, etc) along with major ingredients
- If the recipe is something you have yoinked please include where it came from.

If you have any suggestions about running this (and especially if you'd like to help) PLEASE let me know. Eep is a very busy girl. :P

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Real Baked Potatoes


So when I was growing up we nuked potatoes despite my mother being a generally fabulous cook. It wasn't until I moved to Seattle and started hanging out with true foodies that I learned there was a better, much tastier way. Sorry for the dark picture, my kitchen has TERRIBLE light.

Difficulty: Casual

Russet Potatoes
Bacon Fat (You can also use butter, olive oil or any other fat product if you haven't been draining your bacon)
Salt
Pepper
Seasonings of your choice (I use chili powder and cumin)

Preheat oven to 350
Rub potatoes with about 1/2-3/4 tsp bacon fat each depending on the size. This will give your potato a nice, crisp skin.
Sprinkle a bit (1/4 tsp or so) of salt, pepper and spices onto the potato and rub the skin with them. The fat will cause the seasonings to stick.
Throw potatoes into the oven (you can put a pan on the next rack to catch the drippings)
Bake for 45 min to one hour depending on the size. To check if they are done insert a knife into the potato, if it feels hard toss it back in for a few more minutes.
Pull potatoes out of the oven, slice down the middle and squeeze the sides (careful, the potatoes will be hot)
Top with whatever the hell you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment